I have yet to meet a person who doesn't love chocolate. We cannot get enough of that sweet, bitter and earthy flavor. The best thing about chocolate is that not only is it delicious, it can also be healthy. Though chocolate was not previously considered a healthy food option, more and more studies are surfacing that support claims of its potential health benefits. One study has shown that cocoa can potentially reduce the risk of heart disease. It can also lower blood pressure and has antioxidant properties. These studies are exciting as they boost the chocolate’s status from guilty pleasure to healthy food.
The research might still be ongoing but that does not mean we cannot just enjoy chocolate for what it is. A versatile ingredient that elevates a simple snack or dessert to new levels. So here are a couple of recipes that you can try out with chocolate powder that will surely make you fall in love with chocolate all over again.
Mayan Hot Chocolate
This isn’t the chocolate drink that you know. Made with cinnamon and cayenne pepper, it definitely has a kick to it. Not a fan of hot or spicy drinks? Don’t knock it till you try it - one sip and you will be craving for more.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons chocolate powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Hot water. The amount depends on the chocolate powder serving directions.
- Mix the chocolate powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and hot water together in a mug.
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 2 minutes until it begins to boil.
- Slowly pour the milk on the chocolate mixture while whisking it.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
Avocado with chocolate may sound weird to some of you but it is a healthy and delicious dessert option. This is so good that you can use it to bribe your kids to finish their meals. As a bonus, it is also very easy to make and does not require a lot of prep time. You can practically make this every day.
- 2 large avocados. Peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 cup chocolate powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Blend all the ingredients using a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Refrigerate until chilled.