I don’t know about you but the air fryer is the best invention ever known to man. That might be stretching it out a bit but to us health buffs, it is the best thing ever. This amazing piece of kitchen gadget allows us to enjoy our favorite comfort foods without worrying too much about the fat and calories associated with them.
Let’s face it, comfort foods are usually fried or grilled and high on calories. They are indeed delicious but they are not exactly on top of the healthy food rankings. We try to avoid them as much as we can but sometimes, the temptation is just too much. We promise to take just one bite but before we know it, we’ve already finished the whole plate and feel guilty about it. Being able to eat your favorite food without feeling guilty is one reason why the air fryer is a must for health-conscious people like us. You’re basically able to make fried foods without using any oil. In fact, it reduces the oil and calories in the food. How awesome is that? So to get you started, check out 2 air fryer recipes that will surely work up your appetite.
Who does not love chicken? Everyone I know does, especially rotisserie chicken. But it is not always practical as a weeknight dinner. Well, it can be using an air fryer. With this recipe, it will only take about an hour and 30 minutes to prepare and cook and is good for 6 servings.
- A 3-pound chicken cut up into 8 pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. garlic oregano
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine them.
- Rub the spice mix on the chicken pieces.
- Using an air fryer, cook the dark meat pieces first at 350° for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Cook the breasts at the same temperature but reducing the cooking time to 8 minutes per side.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the temperature is at 165°.
Fried Pork Chops With Brussels Sprouts
A simple hearty and satisfying meal without a lot of fat is a sure winner in my book. This single-serving recipe for a crispy pork chop with sweet Brussels sprouts will only take around 30 minutes to make. This is perfect if you want a quick healthy meal.
- 8 ounces bone-in center-cut pork chop
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts, quartered
- Cooking spray
- Lightly coat pork chop with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the pure maple syrup, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and remaining pepper.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and toss.
- Place the pork chop on one side of the air fryer basket and the Brussels sprouts on the other.
- Heat air fryer to 400ºF.
- Cook unit golden brown. Cook for 13 minutes for well-done or 10 minutes for medium.